Humberside Police have launched a new protocol to help visually impaired people stay safe when reporting an emergency (call 999) or incident (call 101).

When reporting either an emergency or incident, please inform the police that you are visually impaired. You can then give a password which a police officer will use should they need to visit you at home. This way you will know that they are a genuine police officer.

If, when visiting you at home, the officer cannot give you the correct password, please ask them to call the Force Control Room for verification.

If they still cannot give you the correct password, call 999 to request police attendance as a possible bogus official.

Please stay safe!