With our usual fundraising collections, events and challenges cancelled due to Covid-19, we need your help to make September spectacular to help us to continue supporting thousands of people with sight loss in Hull and East Yorkshire.
Lockdown has been hard for all of us, but we’ve made almost 4,000 telephone calls to local blind and partially sighted people since lockdown began, and many are feeling even more isolated than usual and experiencing high levels of anxiety as they are unable to access many of their usual support services.
The easing of lockdown restrictions presents its own challenges too, with social distancing measures making everyday tasks daunting and confusing for many people with a visual impairment.
That’s why we need your help to ensure we can support people with sight loss during these difficult times, by carrying out services such as:
Supporting people: our Community Advice Officers are making proactive telephone welfare calls offering information, advice and practical support on things like welfare benefits, as well as home safety and lifestyle planning, to help people with sight loss to remain as independent as possible.
Technology support: providing 1-2-1 tuition and guidance to people with sight loss on how to use technical devices to carry out everyday tasks like banking and shopping , as well as updates about latest apps and technology to help them keep connected with their family and friends as well as the wider community.
Social Opportunities: using audio conference calling our Speakers Corner events offer visually impaired people the chance to listen to a wide range of speakers offering advice, information and entertainment.
Leisure Opportunities: our tennis and outdoor walking sessions offer health benefits as well as social opportunities albeit under strict social distancing procedures.
Get On Your Bike for Sight: September 2020
Biking has become an even more becoming a popular hobby for many during lockdown. It can be enjoyed whatever your age, alone or as part of a group or family unit, so we’re inviting everyone to Get on Your Bike for Sight in September, wherever you are in Hull or East Yorkshire.
Enjoy a scenic city or town route or head out into the countryside, or your local park – there’s plenty to choose from! Not only will you get some exercise and fresh air, as well as have lots of fun, but by donating or raising £1 for every mile you ride, you will also be helping to support local people with sight loss.
You can make a donation yourself, or if you are looking for a real challenge, why not aim to raise sponsorship for a longer ride.
Don't have a bike? Now worries you can "Stride for Sight" too!
What to do next?
- Set a date for you bike ride and invite your friends and family to join you.
- Please practise safe cycling (i.e. wear a helmet, check the bike over before riding it, check the weather forecast to ensure it is suitable, plan your route, take a mobile phone, stay hydrated, wear visible clothing)
- Practise social distancing and Covid-19 safety measures
- Let us know your plans and send us videos or pictures of your challenge if you wish. Tag us in your social media posts! @SightSupportHEY
- You can set up a fundraising page via https://www.justgiving.com/ where you can even link your page to a Strava to encourage even more donations! (https://justgiving.com/fundraising/tips/strava)
- You can simply donate here: https://www.justgiving.com/SightSupportHEY
If you would like any help or for more information you can get in touch with our Fundraising Department by email at email@example.com or by calling 01482 342297.
And don’t forget to ………………………………….Have fun!